Clarks Chapel Baptist Church


Clarks Chapel Baptist Church was founded September 3, 1900 in the Cajah's Mountain community of Needmore. Cornelius and Nancy Craig Clark agreed
to give the land in front of their home for the building of a church. Cornelius Clark asked the Rev. John Z. Griffin, Rev. William W. Conway and the Rev. D. Lafayette Miller if they would preach in a brush arbor if he built one.

A glorious revival was held after which the visiting preachers and several members
of Mountain Grove Baptist Church met and decided to organize a church at the
brush arbor. A Presbytery consisting of the aforementioned preachers and five deacons met with those holding letters. After examination of the letters presented, the eleven members constituted into and declared to be a regular Missionary Baptist Church, according to the Church Covenant and the Articles of Faith found in the Church Members Manual. Rev. D. Lafayette Miller was called as the first Pastor for one year.

The first meetings of Clarks Chapel Baptist Church were held under an old brush arbor built by Edward Prestwood and Haywood Clark. Plans were made for a
building that was finished and in use in about three years. The first offering
recorded for Foreign Missions was 50 cents. The church was received into the Caldwell Baptist Association in September of 1900. The first building was occupied sometime in 1903 and served them well until 1934 when it was remodeled and six Sunday School rooms were built.

The church voted on May 6, 1947 to begin a new building. On November 5, 1951, plans were made to begin building on a site beside the old church on land donated
by Haywood and Josie Clark. The building was completed and the first service
was held on August 10, 1952. The Rev. Luther E. Snipes served as pastor of the church in the building program. He was the first full-time pastor of the church beginning as such in 1958.